St. Martin’s Island, Bangladesh’s only coral-rich island in Cox’s Bazar, will reopen for tourists from Monday, 1 December, after a closure of nearly 10 months. Domestic and international visitors will once again be able to travel to the island, with authorities allowing up to 2,000 tourists per day to stay overnight in December and January. Tourists will be required to follow 12 guidelines issued by the government during this period.
Located in the Bay of Bengal, the eight-square-kilometre island has been closed to visitors since 1 February. The government had limited tourist access last year to protect the island’s environment. Following this policy, tourists will be permitted to visit the island for three months, from November to January.
Boat owners and tourism operators said that ferry services from Teknaf’s Damdamia ghat had been suspended since 2023 due to the conflict in Myanmar’s Rakhine State. Services were later resumed via the Inani jetty, operated by the navy, and then through the Nuniarchar BIWTA jetty in Cox’s Bazar.
Hossainul Islam Bahadur, general secretary of the Sea Cruise Operators Owners Association of Bangladesh, said that although tourist visits were allowed from 1 November, overnight stays were not permitted, which limited ferry operations. Preparations have now been made for ferry services in December and January. Last year, more than 100,000 tourists visited St. Martin’s during the two months.
Cox’s Bazar Additional District Magistrate (ADM) Md. Shahidul Alam said that four vessels—MV Karnaphuli Express, MV Baro Aulia, Kerry Sindabad, and Kerry Cruise & Dine—have been authorized to operate on the Cox’s Bazar–St. Martin’s route.
Twelve Guidelines for Tourists
The Ministry of Environment, Forest and Climate Change has issued 12 guidelines for tourists visiting St. Martin’s between November and January. No vessels can operate on the island without BIWTA and ministry approval, and all tickets must be booked online through the Bangladesh Tourism Board’s official portal, with travel passes and QR codes issued for each visitor.
Tourists are prohibited from lighting fires, making noise, or holding barbecue parties on the beach at night. Entry into mangrove areas, collecting or trading local fruits, harming marine life such as oysters, birds, coral, crabs, and shellfish, or any other wildlife is strictly forbidden. Motorised vehicles, including motorcycles and sea bikes, are banned on the island.
The guidelines also restrict the use of single-use plastics, including small plastic bottles of 500 ml or 1,000 ml.
Cox’s Bazar Deputy Commissioner Md. Abdul Mannan said the district administration will strictly enforce the 12 guidelines to protect the island’s delicate environment and biodiversity.







