DhakaSunday , 29 March 2026
    • Others

    22 migrants including Bangladeshis die in Mediterranean Sea enroute to Europe

    Online Desk
    March 29, 2026 5:03 pm

    At least 22 migrants have died after a rubber boat capsized off the coast of Greece while attempting to reach Europe from Libya, with most of the victims believed to be from Bangladesh and Sudan.

    The Greek Coast Guard said on Friday (27 March) that 26 people were rescued alive from the same vessel, including 21 Bangladeshis.

    European border agency sources confirmed that operations are still ongoing to find out the missing.

    Authorities and survivors reported that at least 10 of the deceased were from Sunamganj district in Bangladesh.

    Local sources and family members identified several victims, including Nuruzzaman Moyna (38), Sajidur Rahman (32) and Shahan Ehia (25) from Tarapasha village in Dirai upazila, and Mujibur Rahman (45) from Ranar Char village.

    Others confirmed dead include Fahim Ahmed Munna (20) from Kabirnagar village in Dowarabazar upazila, as well as five individuals from Jagannathpur upazila—Mohammad Suhanur, Sheikh Ahmed, Mohammad Ali, Mohammad Naeem and Aminur Rahman.According to relatives, the victims had attempted the journey to Greece via Libya with the help of local traffickers in search of better opportunities. Fahim had earlier travelled to Libya from Saudi Arabia before embarking on the sea journey.

    Those rescued near the island of Crete include not only Bangladeshis but also nationals of South Sudan and Chad. Two survivors have been admitted to Heraklion Hospital in critical condition.

    The incident has cast a pall of grief over the affected areas in Sunamganj, with families urging the government to assist in repatriating the bodies.

    Additional Superintendent of Police Sujan Chandra Sarkar, said reports of four deaths from Dirai upazila have been received through various channels, though official confirmation is still pending.