DhakaWednesday , 29 July 2026
    • Others

    US may require some troops in Mideast to surrender cell phones

    Online
    July 29, 2026 8:50 pm

    The top US commander for the Middle East has warned troops that cellphone videos shared online can help Iran target American bases, and sources told Reuters some deployed personnel could soon be ordered to surrender their phones.

    Any crackdown on mobile communications would add a new dimension to the conflict for the thousands of US troops in the region, many of whom still rely on phones to periodically message loved ones and assure them they are well.

    Admiral Brad Cooper, in a previously unreported letter, said Iran was benefiting from being able to see the success or failure of its strikes in near real-time by searching news reports or online posts by journalists referencing “reactions, photos, and footage from the cellphones of our troops.”

    “The direct, unavoidable cost of this open-source intelligence could be measured in the lives of American service members and civilian residents in targeted Gulf countries,” Cooper, head of US Central Command, wrote in his 28 July letter, a copy of which was obtained by Reuters.

    He called on troops to “redouble our focus on operational security,” without prescribing specific steps in the memo.

    The warning underscored the mounting tensions between real-time news reporting on the war, often aided by satellite imagery and first-person accounts, and the desire by the US military to restrict any information that could aid Iran as it tries to kill and wound US troops.